Zodiac Designator Atlas: Identity, Name Withholding, Threat, and Afterlife

This page is a catalog of words and phrases from the Zodiac's letters and from the solved cipher plaintexts. Entries are grouped by function and dated. It is not a decrypt, not a suspect theory, and not a full psychological profile. It is the evidence base for the Zodiac's closed content repertoire analysis.

1. IDENTITY

1a. Killer / murderer / same man

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

I am the killer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass at Lake Herman and the Girl last 4th of July

July 31, 1969 VTH

Self-label as the offender of named crimes.

This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass at Lake Herman + the girl on the 4th of July near the golf course in Vallejo

July 31, 1969 SFC

Same self-label; “murderer” instead of “killer.”

I am the killer of the 2 teenagers last christmass at Lake Herman + the girl last 4th of July

July 31, 1969 SFE

Same as VTH above.

To prove I killed them / To prove this I shall state some facts…

July 31, 1969 (all three)

Ties Zodiac to the killings as identity claim.

the good times I have had in Vallejo

Aug 4, 1969 SFE

Claims ownership of the Vallejo crimes as personal experience.

cene of the killing

Aug 4, 1969 SFE

Speaks as the person present at the murder scene.

my victoms

Aug 4, 1969 SFE

Possessive: victims as his.

I am the murderer of the taxi driver over by Washington St + Maple St last night

Oct 13, 1969 SFC

Self-label for Stine.

I am the same man who did in the people in the north bay area

Oct 13, 1969 SFC

Links Stine offender to North Bay offender - one identity.

up to the end of Oct I have killed 7 people

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Body-count claim as who he is.

when I comitt my murders

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Murders framed as his ongoing practice.

my killings

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Possessive offender identity.

I have killed ten people to date

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Updated kill count identity.

I shot a man sitting in a parked car with a .38

June 26, 1970 SFC

Claims a specific shooting as his act.

my riverside activity… a hell of a lot more down there

Mar 13, 1971 LAT

Claims Riverside crimes as his.

I have decided to begin Killing again

May 2, 1978 KHJ                

Reasserts killer identity.

I like killing people because it is so much fun…

408 plaintext

Offender identity in cipher text.

That wasn't me on the TV show which brings up a point about me

340 plaintext

Explicit “me” as distinct person / persona.

1b. Zodiac persona / brand / symbol

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

This is the zodiac speaking

Aug 4, 1969 SFE

First use of public persona title as speaker ID.

This is the Zodiac speaking

Oct 13, 1969; Nov 8; Nov 9; Dec 20 Belli; Apr 20; June 26; July 24; July 26, 1970; Mar 13, 1971; May 2, 1978

Repeated persona brand.

To prove that I am the Zodiac

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Explicit claim of the Zodiac identity.

Zodiac butons / my buton

Apr 28, 1970 SFC

Brand name on objects others must wear.

nice (crosshair) buttons / any type of (crosshair) buttons

June 26; July 24; July 26, 1970

Symbol = stand-in for the name / brand.

(Crosshair Symbol) on letters

July 31, 1969 onward (many)

Signature mark of the persona.

hood… symbol… symmetrical cross in center

Sept 27, 1969 (victim-reported)

Physical brand at the scene.

whoever plays me

May 2, 1978 KHJ

Persona as a role that can be “played.”

1c. Clever / uncaught / control of image

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

the police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Self as uncatchable intellect.

I look like the description… only when I do my thing, the rest of the time I look entirle different

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Dual appearance = controlled identity presentation.

descise

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Disguise as identity tool.

no fingerprintsfinger tip guardsairplane cement

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Forensic invisibility as part of who he is operationally.

leaving fake clews

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Controls what police think they know about him.

I am crack proof

Mar 13, 1971 LAT

Unbreakable identity vs police.

do my Thing

Nov 8, 1969 SFC

Coded label for his killing persona / activity.

do my thing

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Same.

SFPD=0 / =10 / –12 / =13 / –17+ / Me – 37

Apr 20; June 26; July 26, 1970; Mar 13, 1971; Jan 29, 1974

Scoreboard identity: me vs police.

NO ADDRESS

Aug 4, 1969 SFE

Withholds locatable civic identity.

1d. Scene cover story (Berryessa, victim-reported)

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

I want your money

Sept 27, 1969

Claimed motive / role at scene.

needed a car and money / keys

Sept 27, 1969

Robbery-escape identity.

I am a convict trying to get to Mexico

Sept 27, 1969

False personal identity offered to victims.

car was hot

Sept 27, 1969

Supports convict / escape story.

lodge state prison, Montana / killed a guard (as reported)

Sept 27, 1969

Elaborated false bio.

I’m getting nervous

Sept 27, 1969

Self-description in role (not letter persona).

1e. Proof of identity (authentication)

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

facts which only I + the police know

July 31, 1969 (all three)

Proves speaker = offender.

Brand name of ammo Super X / Western; 10 shots; body positions; patterned pants/slacks

July 31, 1969 (all three)

Secret knowledge proof items.

blood stained piece of his shirt

Oct 13, 1969 SFC

Physical proof of Stine murder identity.

Ask the Vallejo cop about my electric gun sight

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

External verification challenge.

Des July Aug Sept Oct = 7

Nov 8, 1969 SFC

Count presented as his accounting of deeds (identity as score).


2. NAME WITHHOLDING

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

In this cipher is my idenity

July 31, 1969 SFC only

Teases that identity / name content is inside the cipher - not a delivered legal name.

when they do crack it they will have me

Aug 4, 1969 SFE

Solving = capturing identity; still not giving a name string.

By the way have you cracked the last cipher I sent you?

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Opens the name-game block before “My name is.”

My name is – [Z13 symbols]

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Explicit name prompt; denial/withhold is structural (no clear public plaintext name).

I will not give you my name because you will try to slow down or stop my collecting of slaves for my afterlife

408 plaintext

Direct refusal of a name.


3. THREAT

3A. More killing / rampage / general violence

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

kill ram page / kill rampage / kill ram-Page Fry night

July 31, 1969 VTH, SFC, SFE

Threat of mass killing if cipher not printed.

whole week end / weekend / Sun Night

July 31, 1969 (all three)

Duration of threatened rampage.

cruse aroundstray people or coupples / lone People / people who are alone

July 31, 1969 (all three)

How the rampage will be carried out.

dozen people

July 31, 1969 (all three)

Scale of threat.

take my nineth + posibly tenth victom

Dec 20, 1969 Belli

Threat of next murders.

loose control again…

Dec 20, 1969 Belli

Violence framed as impending loss of control (coercive plea / threat).

more glory in killing a cop then a cid

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Hierarchy of who he may kill - threat coloring.

I promiced to punish them if they did not comply

June 26, 1970 SFC

Explicit punishment threat (also 3D).

punished them in an another way… shot a man.38

June 26, 1970 SFC

Claimed punishment shooting.

little list, starting with the woeman + her babyburning her car

July 24, 1970 SFC

Threat list / claimed past violence as pressure.

torture all 13 of my slaves…

July 26, 1970 SFC

Future pain as threat (also Afterlife).

I’ve got a little list… would never be missed

July 26, 1970 SFC

Hit-list style threat rhetoric.

I will do something nasty

Jan 29, 1974 SFC 

Vague coercive threat.

begin Killing againkill five people

May 2, 1978 KHJ

Future kill threat.

I like killing people… most thrilling experience

408 plaintext

Celebrates killing (supports threat persona; dual with Identity).

gun / get down / tied up

Sept 27, 1969 Berryessa

Immediate violent coercion at scene.

3B. School bus / school children

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

School children make nice targets

Oct 13, 1969 SFC

Children as attack targets.

wipe out a school bus some morning

Oct 13, 1969 SFC

Bus as target.

Shoot out the frunt tirekiddies… bouncing out

Oct 13, 1969 SFC

Method against bus children.

take on a bus the way I stated I was

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Refers back to bus threat.

re schedule the busses

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Bus system as operational target.

the children are safe from the bomb

Dec 20, 1969 Belli

Children + danger state (also 3C).

killing school children with one

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

School children as bomb victims.

a cid

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Child as lesser target vs cop.

bus bomb was a dud

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Bus + bomb (also 3C).

the bus bomb with all the details

Apr 28, 1970 SFC

Same (also 3C).

anilating a full School Buss

June 26, 1970 SFC

School bus annihilation threat.

school is out for the summer

June 26, 1970 SFC

School calendar tied to bus threat logic.

All children who are up in dates…

July 26, 1970 SFC

Song lyric; weak/non-operational - listed only for completeness.

3C. Bomb / bus bomb / map-code

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

the Blast

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Explosive effect.

set the shit off

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Detonation language.

ventalate… of the Blast

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Blast effect.

rather messy if you try to bluff me

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Consequence of ignoring bomb threat.

ammonium nitrate fertlizer; stove oil; gravel

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Bomb materials.

death machiene

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Device name.

masterpiece

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Device as his creation (threat object).

open market

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Parts obtainable - device credibility.

bat. pow clock; photoelectric switch; copper leaf springs; car bat; flash light bulb + reflector; mirror; cardboard tubes; shoe polish

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Components list.

the system checks outtests

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Claimed working mechanism.

at the sight / basement

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Placement states of device.

searching the road sides

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Search for device.

the bomb can be adapted to new conditions

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Adaptation + core token bomb.

safe from the bomb; set the bomb up

Dec 20, 1969 Belli

Core token; arming the device.

triger mechdig in

Dec 20, 1969 Belli

Mechanism / emplacement.

bomb at the cop station (denial)

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Word bomb in denial context.

bus bomb was a dud

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

Failed bus-directed bomb.

The new bomb is set up like this; photo electric swiches; cloudy day disconnect; won’t go off by accid

Apr 20, 1970 SFC

New device logic.

when I have my Blast

Apr 28, 1970 SFC

Threatened explosion event.

bus bomb with all the details

Apr 28, 1970 SFC

Bus bomb demand.

where the bomb is set

June 26, 1970 SFC

Placement claim.

The Map coupled with this code will tell you where the bomb is set

June 26, 1970 SFC

Map-code bomb system.

dig it up… next Fall

June 26, 1970 SFC

Recovery / placement framing.

Mt. Diablo CodeRadians + # inches along the radians

July 26, 1970 SFC

Measuring rule for map-code (bomb system follow-up).

3D. Buttons / compliance

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

Zodiac butons wandering about town; my buton

Apr 28, 1970 SFC

Demand to display his brand.

If you dont want me to have this blast you must… butons

Apr 28, 1970 SFC

Buttons as condition to avoid blast (also 3C).

have not complied… wear some nice (crosshair) buttons

June 26, 1970 SFC

Non-compliance stated.

punish them if they did not complySchool Buss

June 26, 1970 SFC

Compliance failure → bus punishment (also 3B).

will not wear some nice (crosshair) buttons

July 24, 1970 SFC

Continued non-compliance complaint.

nasty (crosshair) buttonsany type of (crosshair) buttons

July 26, 1970 SFC

Expanded compliance demand.

If you do not wear any type of (crosshair) buttons I shall… tortureslavesParadice

July 26, 1970 SFC

Non-compliance → afterlife torture threat (also Afterlife).

3E. Print / publicity coercion

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

print this cipher on your frunt page by Fry… or kill rampage

July 31, 1969 (all three)

Publication forced by threat.

print this new cipher on your frunt pagelonelydo my Thing

Nov 8, 1969 SFC

Print demand tied to violence persona.

Print the part I marked out on page 3 or I shall do my thing

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Print or else.

They dont bury me on the back pages

Mar 13, 1971 LAT

Demands public placement / status.


4. AFTERLIFE

Phrase (key bold)

Date / source

Reasoning

change the way the collecting of slaves

Nov 9, 1969 SFC

Slave-collecting project (tied later to afterlife; dual Identity).

start my collecting of slaves

Nov 9, 1969 SFC (P.S.)

Same project.

when I die I will be reborn in paradise and all the I have killed will become my slaves

408 plaintext

Explicit afterlife system.

afterlife (collecting of slaves for my afterlife)

408 plaintext

Explicit word.

NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICESLAVESNEW LIFEPARADICE DEATH

340 plaintext

Death → paradice; slaves there.

torture all 13 of my slaves… in Paradice

July 26, 1970 SFC

Slaves located in Paradice (also Threat).

pain to my Slaves

July 26, 1970 SFC

Same system.

more slaves I will collect for my after life

Mar 13, 1971 LAT

Explicit afterlife collecting.


This atlas supports the article The Zodiac’s Closed Content Repertoire. It does not by itself solve Z13, Z32, or the 408 final eighteen.